History of Marion County Fire District#1
What began as a single fire station (Four Corners Fire Department) in 1939 has grown to include 8 fire stations. In 1968, Four Corners Fire Department merged with Brooks Rural Fire District, thus creating Marion County Fire District#1 (MCFD#1). Since 1968, MCFD#1 has grown to include fire stations at Four Corners, Middle Grove, Pratum, Macleay, Brooks, Clear Lake, Labish Center, and Chemeketa College.
Since the inception of MCFD#1, what was once sparsely populated farmland is now divided into sprawling residential neighborhoods and thriving business communities. MCFD#1 is a combination fire district operating 8 fire stations. The district response area is approximately 80 square miles, including 50,000 residents and an annual call volume of over 6,618 responses. The District operates two engine companies (24/7), three medic units (24/7) with an ambulance service area slightly larger than its fire protection boundaries, administrative command staff (24/7), and volunteer firefighter personnel. Both fire suppression and emergency medical service apparatus are appropriated/utilized with respect to mutual aid agreements and intergovernmental deployment requests of wildland fire operations. Fire stations and equipment are strategically placed throughout the District to protect property and District population.
Marion County Fire District is not apart of the City or County, but instead is a "special service district" that provides fire suppression/protection and emergency service to residence in unincorporated Marion County. The fire district is run by an elected volunteer board, comprised of residents of the fire district.
Page Last Updated: Jan 20, 2016 (15:35:52)